Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Saki Monkey


Here is my story based on a Saki Monkey's journey to Roger Williams Zoo in Providence, RI. It may not be good but here goes:
I hail from the large forests in the Amazon. I am a male, which you can tell because my face is disctinctly white. Females show white markings on their faces but do not have all white faces. I am also larger than females.
As the villagers cut down more and more trees our source of food and our homes dwindled. We get our fruits, seeds, buds and vegetation from those trees. We live in the trees. My mother and father were brought into captivity, since they were forced out of their home. I was not born in the wild, rather I was born at Roger Williams Zoo.
It is a good thing us Saki Monkeys are known to be so versatile. We are able to survive in a variety of habitiats. Luckily, there are a handful of other Saki Monkeys at my new home. I love to play with them and my mother tells me stories of being in the wilderness and having many close monkey families.
The zoo is fun, I have people to play with, many trees, always have food, and I will probably live to be 35 years in captivity instead of 15 years in the wild!
I hope you come play with me soon!
Caitlin Foley: Visual Media

No comments: